The UIAA Mountain Protection Award (MPA) is a two-stage process:
Every approved initiative and project submitted to the UIAA MPA is showcased as part of the MPA platform. We recognise that there are many good mountain protection initiatives that stem from great ideas, even if they are not yet fully-fledged projects. Therefore, the MPA platform serves as a great way to promote good initiatives and projects and thereby support progress towards mountain protection goals.
To have an initiative or project showcased in this MPA platform, you must first submit an application and meet our criteria for inclusion into the MPA platform.
Applying to have an initiative or project showcased in the UIAA MPA platform is free of charge, and the benefits include having your initiative or project showcased and promoted via the MPA platform as well as the opportunity to use the crowd sourcing facility to collect funds and further develop your initiative or project.
Once a year, the UIAA recognises outstanding projects showcased as part of our MPA platform, who have achieved tangible outcomes in mountain protection. To be eligible as a candidate for the Award, projects must fulfil the following criteria as part of the second stage process:
- Have submitted a complete application by the Award deadline: 15 June 2016
- Be accepted and showcased on our MPA platform
- Have a fully-fledged and implemented project
- Visibility of the project among the relevant constituencies (clients and community)
- Solid project management and support by local community
Winners are chosen by the Award Team, which is composed of external experts, UIAA mountain protection delegates and partners.
The vibrant message of UIAA President Frits Vrijlandt for the IUCN World Park Congress from October 2014.
- YOU ARE an association or a travel agency
- YOU WORK in a mountain region
YOU ARE ENGAGED in one of the following areas (at least):
- Conservation of biodiversity – incl. plant & animal species
- Sustainable energy & resource management
- Waste management & disposal
- Adaptation to / mitigation of effects of climate change
- Culture and education
- YOU DEVELOP environmentally friendly and innovative adventure activities to inspire visitors
- YOU COLLABORATE with and support local/regional communities